Social Care Referrals and Assessments

Services and Support » Social Care » Social Care Referrals and Assessments

Helping children and young people with social care needs which relate to their Special Education Needs or to a disability (SEND).

We ensure that all families with a child with Special Educational Needs are offered information, advice and support to access appropriate mainstream and community services.

You can read more about the types of support available on our Local Offer pages here: Early Help Service

We also work with children where their Special Educational Needs are impacting on their learning, wellbeing, relationships and recreational opportunities.

You can ask us for an assessment of your child or your needs as a parent/carer. 

You can telephone us on 0191 433 2653 – Monday to Friday between 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.

Who do the Children with Disabilities Team work with?

The term ‘disability’ covers a broad spectrum of support needs. This specialist social work team will work with children where their disability is impacting on the child’s ability to achieve their full potential, including when:

  • the disability has a substantial and long-term effect on the child’s ability to carry out day-to-day activities, and;
  • there are significant difficulties in meeting the child’s needs within their family, broader support networks or through local universal provision.

If your child receives Special Educational Needs support as a result of their disability – for example, those children who have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) or those who are being assessed for a possible EHCP – you may be eligible for our support and are able to request an assessment.

Please contact us on the telephone number above to discuss your request.  If a child is entitled to Disability Living Allowance (DLA) at the Higher Rate, this is a good indicator that we would be able to offer support to your family.

The majority of families do not require a social worker and their needs can be met by accessing support through universal or targeted services, including early years, education and children’s centre settings or by early help services.  

The team will not usually work with children whose main need for support relates to emotional/behavioural development or is connected to a mental health issue.