Referrals at 16+

What happens after a referral is made to the team at ages 16 to 17

If the young person meets the criteria for adult services, then from 16+ years old the Transitions team will be available to provide them and their parents/carers with general information and advice about adult services. They will work in partnership with the young person’s children’s social worker to ensure that they have a smooth, well managed transition into adult services.

If the young person is not involved with Children’s Services, then a transitions worker will be allocated to meet with them to carry out an assessment at 17 to 17 ½ years old.

The children’s social worker will remain the young person’s allocated social worker until they turn 18 years old. They will continue to monitor, update and review their children’s support package and support plan. From the age of 18 the transitions worker will be the young person’s allocated worker should they be eligible for services.

Assessment eligibility

The Transitions Team will use guidelines to determine if someone is eligible for adult services using the eligibility threshold in the Care and Support (Eligibility Criteria) Regulations 2014. To be eligible, an adult’s needs must arise from or be related to a physical or mental impairment or illness, and as a result, are unable to achieve two or more of the specified outcomes without assistance as listed below:

  • managing and maintaining nutrition
  • maintaining personal hygiene
  • managing toilet needs
  • being appropriately clothed
  • being able to make use of the adult’s home safely
  • developing and maintaining family or other personal relationships
  • accessing and engaging in work, training, education or volunteering
  • making use of facilities or services in the local community including public transport and recreational facilities or services 
  • carrying out any caring responsibilities the adult has for a child

We will only provide adult services to people who are assessed as being unable to achieve two or more of the specified outcomes and therefore there is, or is likely to be, a significant impact on the adult’s wellbeing without the implementation of services.


The young person may have to pay for some of the services they receive as an adult. This will depend on their income and how much help they need. They will be asked to complete a financial assessment. Their transition worker can give them advice and support with this.

If the young person is not eligible for support

If the young person’s needs are assessed and it is determined that they do not meet the eligibility threshold to be able to receive adult social care services, we will be able to give them advice and information about other services and organisations which may be able to help them.