How it is decided what level of support a child receives?

Services and Support » Education, Health and Care Plans (EHCP) » How it is decided what level of support a child receives?

The support a child receives is based on their individual needs. In most cases, educational needs that have been identified can be met from the school’s Element 2 funding, however, the SEND Panel will consider whether the child/young person might require Element 3 funding, a placement at an Additionally Resourced Mainstream School (ARMS) or a specialist school/college placement.

The SEND Code of Practice states that the child’s parent or the young person (if aged over 16) has the right to request a particular school, college or other institution and the LA must comply with that preference and name the school or college in the EHC Plan unless:

  • it would be unsuitable for the age, ability, aptitude or SEN of the child/young person, or
  • the attendance of the child/young person there would be incompatible with the efficient education of others, or the efficient use of resources.

In addition to the special educational support a child/young person needs, the SEND Panel also considers if the child/young person has any health and social care needs and this information will be included in their EHC Plan.