The Community Dental Service in Gateshead, South Tyneside and Sunderland provide a full range of dental treatment for patients of all ages who have difficulty in accessing general dental services (high street/family practice).
The service aims to provide high quality dental care locally for patients with a wide range of special needs. This includes individuals who are medically compromised or have mental health issues; adults and children with severe learning disabilities or physical disabilities and children with behavioural management issues.
The team also carries out oral health promotion and epidemiology. They work closely with education, social and other health care professionals.
The service encourages the very early referral of children who have SEN/disabilities to the Special Care Dentist from any professional caring for the child. This ensures essential early preventive dental care and regular contacts to monitor oral health.
Friendly and experienced staff in the department are familiar with the extra time and expertise that children with SEN/disabilities require.
What to expect from the service
- the team includes specialists in special care dentistry, dentists, therapist, hygienist, dental nurses and oral health promoters
- staff are skilled in behaviour management techniques and cater for individual needs
- where patients have learning difficulty or cognitive impairment, inhalation sedation or intravenous sedation may be useful
- treatment can be carried out under general anaesthesia in a hospital setting for young children or for adults with special needs
- the service has specialist equipment such as wheelchair recliner, hoists and transfer aids
- certain medical conditions can increase the risk in having dental treatment and our team is experienced in dealing with these
Age range covered by the service – All ages
Eligibility Criteria – Open to patients with a wide range of special needs
Routes of referral – The service will accept appropriate referrals for any person living Gateshead South Tyneside or Sunderland, or under the care of a doctor or dentist within the area. A self referral from the parent/carer directly is also welcomed.
Referrals may be made to our central office:
The Galleries Health Centre
Tyne & Wear
Tel: 0191 502 6754
Fax: 0191 502 6762